Thursday, September 18, 2008

Let's go to Duboce Park Instead of Dolores

I used the Internet today. Why does that make me City?

San Francisco loves the Internet. Okay. Generalization. But before countering that first sentence with a reference to the number of homeless people or low-income families in The City, I’m guessing that a part of you—probably the piece that craves technology—agrees. Certainly the mayor sees its benefits, as do a few urban outdoorsmen. I’m not surprised (That lack of shock, however, could speak more about the number of strange sights and sounds I’ve witnessed as opposed to thinking I’m spot-on with my statements).


I’m not acting like a local because I got online, though. People around the globe do that everyday and are not considered an SFer. It’s the sites I visited that should score me points with the 415. Along with SFgate, home of the San Francisco Chronicle, I consumed City info from SFist and BeyondChron. The news found at those sites isn’t so important for this argument as the fact that they exist. There are options out there. There are numerous sources on the Internet and I get to choose which ones I want. San Franciscans embrace alternatives, which explains why there are so many parks, taquerias, and multi-color homes. [Note: I have no explanation for all those Starbucks, however].



This plays into one of the many ideas surrounding media democracy. With the Internet, I have the power to choose where I get my news from no matter how big the company. For example, if I want to get info on professional football, I can turn to well known brands like NFL.com, Yahoo!, or ESPN. On the other hand, I have just as much access to the news and opinions of smaller sports websites and blogs. It’s not just getting the same news from the same news outlets. There is an alternative. There is a new idea. There is choice.

So in an attempt to be a good San Franciscan, I’ll continue to buy into the whole empowerment-and-informing-oneself deal. After all, the Chronicle isn’t always perfect.


[Also, I’m avoiding the Bay Guardian and SF Weekly for now.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

San Francisco is ahead of everybody else on the whole "choice" idea. It's a slow universal movement, but some places/people got a head start. Lucky you.