Friday, September 5, 2008

My Blog?

[Note: The following is for my first blog post assignment. It was originally published here.]

Blogs—I like reading some but have never considered actually writing one. Maybe it’s because I didn’t think people cared about my daily life or wasn’t an aficionado in a certain field. So what should I do when it comes to making and maintaining one as a class assignment?

I turned to two blogs that I frequent: Stuff White People Like and Burritoeater. Stuff White People Like features a list where each entry highlights/mocks the preferences of urban, upper-middle-class white people.

Aside from its tremendous humor, the blog presents topics that are relatable. There are some entries that I have a connection to and make reading it much more fun. Burritoeater travels to taquerias around San Francisco and rates the burrito consumed there on a “mustache” scale. As a burrito-lover, I love how engaging it can be along with the witty writing. I’ll often visit the site to find the closest and tastiest “slabs” in the city.

The first idea that sprung into my mind was about a blogger trying to live in San Francisco. This means eating where the locals eat, shopping where the locals shop, and doing what the locals do. This, also, means not doing certain things like hanging out at Fisherman’s Wharf, riding any Powell line cable car, or calling the city Frisco. My hope is that this appeals to those that love or are interested in San Francisco and the variety of activities within the city limits.

My second idea comes from something I’m very familiar with—having roommates. It’s tentatively titled “I Secretly Hate My Roommates.” In actuality, I don’t, but it does depict some situations that can get on a person’s nerves. There are always annoying occurrences that arise in any living situation. This blog will highlight the offensive habit and reveal the possible solutions provided by the still-bothered victim. I think that this is something that most people can relate to, especially those that went to college.

I recently created both blogs and added some test entries in hopes of getting some early feedback. I figure that if my circle approves then it has a better chance of appealing to a larger readership.

No comments: